Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My horse = my heart!

So I had been gone for five days, cheering on two friends at their reining show, briefly seeing J on the first and fifth day, but no quality time spent.  I went out to the barn on Monday, not sure what I would find, half expecting a fire-breathing horse for not have been worked (except once by my trainer) for so long.  But it was quite the opposite, J seemed truly content that I was back and was glued to my side, even when I gave him the chance to run like a maniac in the indoor.  Unfortunately the past week has been close to a monsoon, so the horses have been inside and a bit full of it, but J was calmer than ever. 

This sounds odd, but I swear that he is different than when I left.  He seems more assured, more confident and more focused.  I know this horse, I know him as I would know my own child.  I can just look into his eyes and know when he is not feeling well, when he is tired, when he is excited, etc.  And he is just different.  More mature or something.  And he seems very happy to be back to work and have me around.

He has put in two very solid days of work now, despite showing obvious signs of some loss of stamina, just from the short break.  But I just feel like he is really trying his heart out for me and I cherish the relationship that I have with him.  I hope to never take that for granted!

No comments:

Post a Comment