Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The trials and tribulations of showing...

In the fall of 2007, Shelley took J to his first USDF show at Silverwood in Camp Lake, Wisconsin, his show name being decided upon as "Joeledo".  J schooled well on Friday, but on Saturday in the show ring, it did not go as planned.  In the first test, he was doing really well until the very end of the test where he was suddenly spooked by the photographer.  Shelley did her best and got him back under control and down the centerline for the final salute.  He had one more test approximately an hour later and Shelley wanted to warm him up in the indoor arena where there were less distractions.  He warmed up beautifully!  I had high hopes and he trotted into the show ring, but they were quickly dashed when he started to buck, rear and take off for no apparent reason.  I was so grateful that Shelley was riding him because I would have excused myself and left the arena in shame and embarrassment, but Shelley pressed on and made him finish the test despite his terrible behavior.  After that test,  Shelley had a very honest talk with me and I wondered if J would ever get over his nervousness and become the show horse that I longed for.  On Sunday, Shelley had me ride him in one of the show arenas that was not being used and although he was inattentive at times, he didn't act up and it ended up being a pretty decent ride.  We went back to Indian Hills very somber, with me wondering what to do.  I did not want to force J into being what he couldn't be, I yearned to show, but I had such a palpable bond with the "yellow horse" (as Kim Barteau referred to him).  Thankfully I spoke with my friend, Beth Noteman, who is a very successful dressage rider with her Arabian Stallion, Comet.  Her experience was very close to mine, having a very strong bond with her horse, showing dressage with a "non-dressage" type horse and Comet had also had "issues" when it came to shows.  She helped me decide that I would give J the winter to train and then take him out the next show season and see how he does. 

J trained well that winter and Shelley had planned on showing him for the 2008 season.  June rolled around and Shelley encouraged me to enter J in a show at Silverwood for July, but wanted ME to show him!  I was ecstatic but nervous!  We did intro level, just walk/trot, although we were working on harder stuff at home.  But Shelley knew that between mine and J's show jitters, the new atmosphere, etc. it would be best to keep it very easy for us both.  Needless to say, J and I had a very successful show and we even won the high point award for Saturday!  On our first test, I got a "9" on our final centerline and halt!  I was thrilled with my little yellow horse!  We showed at a few more shows that season and had a very successful year, building confidence for the both of us.  We even earned fourth place for Intro Level with the Illinois Dressage and Combined Training Association!

For the 2009 season, I had set my goal to show at training level and hopefully qualify for Regionals with the United States Dressage Association. I also wanted to place in the All-Breed awards, which is an award given to the highest scoring horses in each breed.  With each show, J and I got more and more confident and J even learned that he liked to show off in front of the audiences!  We had a great season and we qualified for Regionals, which were being held in Mason City, Iowa.  While the show grounds in Iowa were very intimidating and J had a few rough moments, he came through for the championship ride and we placed 7th in the region!  We got to participate in the victory gallop, which was the best moment of the entire show season for me!  We also earned the USDF All-breed open champion for the American Paint Horse Association at training level!  We were also ranked top 40 in the nation.  We averaged a 65% for that season.  I was so proud of my little man!



That winter we started training J for 1st level tests for the 2010 show season.  In December, we moved J to a farm in East Troy, Wisconsin, where Shelley had multiple horses in training and spent a majority of her time.  While that made a nearly two hour commute (ONE WAY!!) for me, I knew that it was the best move for J's training.  It was a long winter of long drives, but it was worth it for J (and me) to get the consistent training that we needed.  Shelley also suggested that we start trailering J down to KYB dressage, in Maple Park, Illinois and start taking lessons with Kim Barteau, who could help us along in the process and be another set of eyes to give us advice.  Shelley first took the lessons with Kim, but then I eventually took over the ride.  We also hired Yvonne Barteau to choreograph music and movements for his first freestyle routine, which I hoped to show that year.  She did an amazing job on it, finding the perfect music for us and making a difficult routine that the judges would like.  We showed 1st level at Sorensen (in East Troy, Wisconsin) in June 2010.  Although we were not solid in the work (especially the legthenings), we scored low to mid-60's and I was happy with what we were doing.  I had hoped to score at least a 60% so I could qualify to show his freestyle, which we accomplished his first show that season. 


We showed again the following weekend at Sorensen, all 1st level tests, and the cart came off the tracks, so to speak.  J was tired, I was striving for perfection and that combination clearly did not work!  J's displeasure was shown in the show ring and we were both miserable.  I scored high 50's and the judge was probably giving me sympathy points!  We went home that weekend knowing that I had a lot to work on and unfortunately I had already entered and paid for a show at Silverood in two weeks!  Shelley gave me two options: either see if the show secretary could enter me in lower level classes or skip the show altogether because we were not ready.  Me, being the broke horse owner that I am, refused to lose the money, so I was able to get dropped down to Training level classes.  At home we got stripped back down to basics.  I had allowed the pressure of showing drive me to be too demanding and ask for movements in the wrong way, which made J very resentful.  Off came the spurs and away went the whip, and we retaught J the meaning of forward without having me molest him in the reins.  We went to Silverwood with the only expectation to make it a positive experience for J and a confidence builder for me, as we were showing down a level, there really was no pressure as the scores would not count towards any year-end awards.  The show went really well and J was back to being a solid citizen.  The judges were not to complimentary of us (I had never shown under these judges before, so not sure what they were looking for) but I didn't really care because that was not the point.  I ended up deciding to skip our class on Sunday because we had accomplished what we had set out to do.  I had learned a big lesson from all of this!  I could not force J into doing the movements and I could not let the pressure of showing and winning dictate my riding style! It was unfair to J and to myself!  I had intentions of returning to the show ring in August, but for financial reasons, it did not happen.  So we did not get enough scores to qualify for any year-end awards and instead I worked hard on our training with the hopes that 2010 would be a successful year.

In September 2010, I moved J to White Spring Farm in Marengo, Illinois.  I felt that a move was necessary, both for J and myself.  Quite honestly, this was the best decision I have ever made in regards to J's care.  Tawney Denn is the co-owner and barn manager and is the most caring horseperson, barn owner and barn manager I have ever met.  Tawney shows reining horses and truly knows what it takes to own a show horse as well as pleasure horses.  And it is also wonderful because my drive is now only 15-20 minutes!  I was very fortunate in that Shelley agreed to continue to train us, although less frequently, but it's great nonetheless.  So we are now training for the 2011 season, becoming more and more solid in our 1st level work and will undoubtedly show our freestyle this season (barring any financial issues- knock on wood!).  Our goals include qualifying for regionals and placing at all-breeds, but this time at 1st level and 1st level freestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment