Monday, April 11, 2011

Focus is back!

I've had a bit of a dressage lesson hiatus- not because I have wanted this to occur, but unfortunately scheduling can be difficult, especially when my trainer lives over 2 hours away!  So it worked out for Saturday morning and I was more than ready for her guidance!  She rode J first (as she customarily does) which allows her to figure out quickly where he (we) is (are) lacking and what needs to be worked on for that particular time.  She started running through the First Level test 3 trot work and found that he had some holes in his half halts, he was responding too slowly and not responding correctly.  Shelley started to ask J to carry himself with a very high poll, not worrying about roundness per say, but instead focusing on him carrying himself, lengthening his neck and quickening his hind feet in response to the half halt.  J's typical response to a half halt is to shorten his neck, fall a bit on the forehand and slow his hind end, leaving his legs out behind him, which is not really a half halt at all.  So Shelley worked diligently and he was looking much improved after 15-20 minutes of her riding him.  She even did a little bit of stretchy circle and free walk and he was noticeably better. 

Then it was my turn.  Shelley had us work the full arena, always on the second track or the quarterline.  She advised me to take a short-ish rein, keep my hands in front of the pommel and leave him alone with my legs/feet (as I have a tendency to nag him).  My reins were to be used to keep him relatively straight and my seat was to steer him, I was only to use my legs/spur when I asked him to go forward.  So I would ask him to walk, trot or canter, give him a quick half halt through both reins and/or my seat, then stretch my reins forward (just centimeters through my elastic elbows) and give him small aids from my leg and/or whip until he responded by quickening his hind end and following the bit out to meet my hands but WITHOUT going down.  It was difficult, especially at the walk because there is not much impulsion in the walk, but it got better as I got the feel for it.  I tend to keep my hands up- probably because I want to carry his head- which is a dressage sin!  So I would try to keep my hands down and then J would drop onto the bit and I'd have to pick him back up and then try to remember to put my hands back down.  It's like trying to rub my belly and pat my head at the same time!  I just have to keep diligent about it so it eventually becomes a habit.

Overall it was a great lesson- Shelley was very positive and encouraging, which I greatly appreciated.  It gave me renewed focus on our work and more drive to get our work accomplished.  We are hoping to have another lesson next Saturday, which would be great.  Show season is sneaking up quickly and I want to be as prepared as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment