Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The next Anky?

So I took my first reining lesson yesterday and it was the most fun I have had on a horse in a long time!  Don't get me wrong- I LOVE riding dressage and love riding J, but it was so much fun to learn something new and not have the pressure of trying to be perfect.  Tawney, my amazing barn owner, is a reiner and has an awesome reining horse named Twist, whom she offered to help teach me reining.

So yesterday was the day that I got a crash course in reining and I couldn't get the smile off my face!  Tawney coached me through flying changes, sliding stops and spins and Twist was just fantastic about putting up with me!  It was pretty difficult for me because many of the cues were exact opposite of dressage- the canter depart is cued by the outside leg and no inside leg and no rein, flying changes are also cued by the outside leg and to do spins and turn the inside leg is taking completely off the horse!  I had many "do-overs" fortunately but I eventually was able to get some passable work, although I'm sure it wasn't pretty!  Twist is incredibly sensitive to the leg, which made it that much more fun!

Tawney has promised a second lesson, although it might not be for a little while as she has a couple of shows coming up and I would hate for me to ruin Twist before one of her shows!  But Keith is going to video the next one, so I'm sure there will be some funny moments to be seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment