Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Some things stay the same... some things change

So I haven't posted in awhile as things were pretty status quo until the weekend.  My lesson for last week was cancelled, so I've been working on the same stuff for awhile now, which has been really working and I notice a big difference in J's work.  Between the thaw, rain and then freeze, the horses have been inside for about 4-5 days now, so it has impacted our work in that I've had to spend a lot more time on warming him up, getting him stretching, forward and supple.  But he does get there eventually and he is definitely bending his back more reliably and moving into the outside contact with more assurance.  This makes a really big difference in his movement!  When he is really solid we do some lateral work and I truly feels like he is dancing underneath me- such a great feeling!  My back has been bothering me again, and I'm going to the napropath and massage therapist to have it worked on, but in the meantime I've been mostly posting the trot with a little sitting towards the end of the ride when my back is more supple and he is working over his back, giving me a good place to sit.  It seems to be working out okay for now.

I have also been practicing the 1-3 test, getting anxious for show season, so playing around with the tests.  I've noticed that the first leg yield can be a little tricky as it is moving off the wall and I have to make sure he is really straight through the corner to prepare for the leg yield.  I practiced this movement a few times and then realized that while I was asking him to change outside reins through the corner with my legs and my rein, I was not changing my seat- DUH!  So when I did this, it made the transition of outside rein much easier and his leg yield was much straighter and honest.  So that will definitely be something that we will be diligent about.

So on Saturday we got our trailer ready to sell... took all the measurements, swept it all out and took pics for the ads.  It was a beautifully sunny day and a good day to be outside, albeit a bit chilly.  So on Saturday night, around 6pm, I posted the trailer for sale on Illinoishorse.com, TackTrader.com and Craigslist.  In about 2 hours I had a committed buyer for the full asking price!  She is scheduled to come out on Saturday, pay cash and pick up the trailer, so I agreed to hold the trailer for her until then.  In the meantime, I have gotten nearly 100 responses for the trailer, most of which seem very serious.  So I have told everyone that they would be contacted if the original seller falls through.  So it looks like the trailer will be sold and then we will be trailer-less for a few months.  My barn owner, Tawney, has a friend who is selling her trailer and we are very interested in it, but Keith and I both agreed to wait until the Midwest Horse Fair (which is in mid-April) to check out their selection and deals.  Then we will make a decision after that.  I can't wait to have a trailer with a dressing room!

No comments:

Post a Comment